Pin It

Contact A Lawyer For Metro Accidents In Upper Marlboro

Posted By: Leah Austin

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority serves the District Of Columbia, Virginia, and Maryland. The Transit Authority, more commonly known as Metro, serves thousands of consumers every day with bus and subway service. That is why consumers need to know what to do in case of an accident.

Who Controls The Transit Authority?

Metro Accidents in Upper Marlboro are not handled like other personal injury cases. Indeed, the government owns the transit authority and consumers should consult an attorney. Most claims against a government agency have special procedures. However, Metro has a reputation for being difficult to deal with.

Area attorneys are aware of this reputation and are prepared to handle the claim. Further, Metro is self-insured and tries to settle cases for the lowest amount possible. Most area attorneys know they will probably have to file a lawsuit.

Claim Procedures

Anyone involved in Metro Accidents in Upper Marlboro must send a Notice Of Claim letter within six months. The letter must include the claimant’s name, date of birth and social security number. In addition, the agency wants to know when and where the accident occurred. If there is no letter, the claim will likely be denied.

There Are A Number Of Reasons For Accidents

Some of the most common reasons for accidents include equipment failure and driver/operator error. Traffic is unbelievable in the D.C. Area, and accidents are common. Additionally, consumers are injured because they have to stand on buses and subways during busy periods. It can be very dangerous if the driver suddenly slams on the brakes.

Unfortunately, the resulting injuries can be severe. That is why individuals need a lawyer to make sure their rights are protected. Lawyers move quickly to investigate the accident. Further, their investigators take photographs and obtain copies of accident reports.

Likewise, investigators work quickly to locate witnesses. Statements are taken, and investigators try to locate more witnesses.

In the event of a fatal accident, the lawyer works with the family to open an estate. Usually, the next of kin is an appointed administrator of the estate. The administrator must have the legal authority to initiate the claim. For more info, visit the Jaklitsch Law Group.

Be the first to like.