More than anything varicose veins tend to be unsightly. They are more common in women and can cause embarrassment especially when they become very dark and bulbous. Although for the most part there is no guarantee you can avoid varicose veins, there are some preventative measures you can take to help lessen the risk of varicose veins and the need for the Vein Treatment Los Gatos clinics provide.
What Causes Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are dark and swollen veins that usually appear in the legs. They can be completely pain free or can cause cramping, a tired feeling and heaviness in your legs, rashes, itching and sometimes even sores. Throbbing, burning and swelling can also occur. The common causes of varicose veins are age, pregnancy, obesity, standing or sitting for prolonged amounts of time, genetics and gender as they are more common in women.
Prevention of Varicose Veins
Because there are so many factors that can lead to varicose veins, prevention is not always possible. However following these tips may help:
- Regular Exercise can help improve circulation as well as help maintain a healthy weight.
- Healthy diet is also important as it helps maintain your weight. A low salt diet also helps prevent swelling.
- As hard as it might be to hear, avoid wearing high heels. Flats help the blood circulation in your calves.
- Avoid tight clothing especially girdles which are constricting for circulation. And if you are watching your diet and exercising chances are you won’t need them
- When you have time to rest elevate your legs. They should be higher than your heart so lying on the couch with your legs up on the arm or on the bed with pillows under your legs works well.
- Moving around is also important. If you are always sitting or standing, try to change position every 30 minutes or so.
- Don’t cross your legs.
- Horse chestnut seed oil has been known to help improve swelling from varicose veins. Speak to your doctor about using the oil first.
Treatment of Varicose Veins
When varicose veins do appear you can arrange for the Vein Treatment Los Gatos patients often use with great success. Sclerotherapy can improve the appearance of varicose veins as well as alleviate symptoms.