How to Protect Yourself From the Lethal Effects of Carbon Monoxide

As a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas, carbon monoxide is completely undetectable by humans. As hard as it is to detect, however, prolonged exposure can have serious health effects, including death. That’s why it’s so important to understand how to protect yourself from carbon monoxide exposure to ensure you can react quickly should an emergency occur.

Detect It

Although humans can’t detect carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide detectors do a fantastic job. These devices are just as critical as smoke detectors to have in your home. Install at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level, ensuring that you can hear the siren from each bedroom in your home. After installing your detectors, it’s important to replace the batteries every six months to ensure they can do their job properly.

Turn it Off

Another common cause of carbon monoxide poisoning is a vehicle that is left on in an attached garage. Vehicles release high levels of carbon monoxide, meaning that just a few minutes of a running vehicle in an enclosed space can spell disaster. Before closing your garage door, ensure that your vehicle is completely turned off and that you have removed the key from the ignition. Additionally, when you are leaving home, if you need to idle your vehicle before driving away, it’s crucial that you back out of the garage completely and close the garage door to keep gases from entering the space.

Prevent It

One of the most common sources of carbon monoxide in the home is a malfunctioning furnace. If gases from combustion aren’t properly vented or if incomplete combustion is occurring in the furnace, you could quickly find yourself with a major problem. That’s why regular HVAC maintenance in Macon, GA, is so critical, as this is the best way to ensure all the components of your furnace are working properly to remove any carbon monoxide from your home. If you need quality HVAC maintenance in Macon, GA, contact the HVAC experts of Hammond Services for more information.

Sharing is caring!