At its heart, CNC machining is a subtractive process in fabrication. It takes a piece of material – metal or plastic being the most common, and “subtracts material from it to form the desired shape or design. CNC machine services differ from manual machining in one major way – the controls. Instead of relying completely on an individual, the company installs a computer to manipulate the tools and the process. CAM/CAD programs provide the guidance for the operation.
Benefits of CNC Machining
Many industries now rely on CNC machining to accomplish tasks. The components they use to create their products and those within the products themselves are often the result of CNC machining. Such production methods offer a variety of benefits. These consist of, but are not restricted to, the following:
- Material: CNC machining is capable of cutting, shaping, scoring and performing general metal work on most materials
- Tools: CNC can operate most conventional equipment. This includes:
- Milling machines
- Center lathes
- Roll forming systems
- Improved Efficiency: Applying CNC to manual and traditional processes increases the speed of production without negatively affecting quality
- Downtime: Machines require shutting off only for maintenance. Relying on CNC machine services reduces interruptions due to fatigue
- Costs: CNC machining requires less hands and machinery. It also produces less wasted material
- Accuracy: The process ensures a high level of repeatability and minimal errors
Overall, CNC machining allows fabrication and metalworking shops to improve their capabilities while remaining cost-effective. They can continue to produce precise work while expanding their competitiveness.
CNC Machine Services
Shops and manufacturers do not have time to throw away on faulty production results. It is not business savvy to waste material, money and time. Shops need to improve the way they work. To accomplish this, more fabricators and manufacturers are embracing the latest technology. This includes installing and employing CNC machine services.