Pin It

The Process of Reopening a Workers’ Compensation Claim After Settlement

Posted By: phineasgray

Having your workers’ compensation case settled can be a major relief. However, sometimes the original injury that leads to your case begins to get worse as time passes. This isn’t impossible, some injuries affect people very differently. Short-term problems can get worse, leading to a greater effect on your wellbeing. In this case, you may be wondering how to reopen your claim after settlement. The first and best step is to contact a Round Lake Park workers’ compensation lawyer.

Situations Where Reopening Your Claim May Be Possible

There are a few ways you can meet the eligibility for reopening your workers’ compensation claim. We’ll go over those below.

Claim Resolved Without Withdrawing Right to Additional Benefits

If you never withdrew your right to more benefits in the future or your case was settled through a court hearing, you are allowed to reopen your claim. Most of the time, however, the insurance provider will require you to sign a full and final statement, which means you cannot ask for additional benefits.

Considerably Worsened Health

You will have to prove that your health has gotten much worse than it was when the claim was settled, but it is possible to reopen your claim in this case. It has to be clean that the reason your condition is worse is due to the original injury that took place in your workplace. If the reason for the worsening condition is due to something else, you will not be allowed to reopen the case.

Filing Within Time Limits

Depending on the state you reside in, there is a time limit related to how long you can file for reopening a claim. This period starts at the time of your injury or when you received your compensation for the claim. For those in Illinois, you have 30 months to file for a reopening after your benefits were paid out.

How to Reopen

Your Round Lake Park workers’ compensation lawyer will help you through the process of applying for reopening. This may be by application or petition, depending on location. You will also be required to provide medical documentation explaining how your health has worsened, how it is connected to your original injury, and what treatments are needed.

At The Law Offices of Robert T. Eden, we work hard to get our clients the compensation they deserve. If you believe you have a case for reopening your workers’ compensation claim, we’d be happy to assist you. To schedule a free consultation, you can reach the office at 847-395-2200.

Be the first to like.