Mopping seems like such a straightforward thing on the surface- get some water and use a mop to push is around the floor to wash off the dirt and grime. However, there is more to mopping than just water on the floor. You need to make sure you are not doing more harm than good with your mopping efforts. To help you take care of the floors once you finish with hardwood flooring installation in Toronto ON, here are some handy tips to keep in mind:
- Warm water is best. Some people want to use hot water on their floors but warm water is best and provides the best results in most cases when it comes to removing general dirt and grime.
- Go easy on the water! This is a big mistake many people make when they are mopping. Too much water can soak into flooring or the baseboards where they can cause warping and mold and mildew growth.
- Dry wash before wet wash to remove as much dirt and grime as possible. Any dirt on the floor becomes muddy and just smears and spreads over the floor as you mop. It also dirties the mop waster faster which makes it harder to mop when you do not have clean water!
- Make people take off their shoes! All kinds of junk get stuck to the bottom of shoes and it can easily be tracked into the home. This makes it hard to clean up and can also lead to scratching and scuffing which also makes your floors look dirtier than they really are.
- Take small steps every day to protect your floors. When something spills, clean it up right away. Use a rug or towel under pet bowls to minimize messes and spills. Avoid stiff bristle brooms to reduce scratches on the flooring.
Understanding how to mop a floor may seem fairly straightforward, but it is important to take care of your floors each and every day. We here at Tony’s Flooring can help you, so call us today!