When to See a Periodontist in Indianapolis, IN

Periodontists are dentists who specialize in treating specific oral health problems pertaining primarily to the gums. They treat periodontal disease, a serious oral health issue that can lead to substantial pain and lost teeth, place dental implants for patients who are already missing teeth, and perform other procedures relating to the gums. Read on to find out about a few of the warning signs that it’s time to call a periodontist in Indianapolis IN as soon as possible to avoid potential complications in the future.

Changes in Bite

Changing bite patterns can occur due to a variety of different issues, but all of them require periodontal care. Readers are most likely to notice these changes while they’re brushing their teeth, chewing food, or talking. They should never ignore them or put off getting them treated until later since the underlying problems may be serious.

Red, Swollen, or Bleeding Gums

Arguably the most obvious sign that it’s time to call a periodontist is bleeding gums. Most of the time this blood is a sign that the patient may have gingivitis, which can develop into periodontitis over time. Dealing with it early will increase patients’ chances of success and reduce their chances of winding up with missing teeth.

Loose Teeth

If one or more adult tooth has begun to feel loose it is definitely time to see a periodontist in Indianapolis IN. This is an early sign of bone damage, usually due to gum disease. It’s often possible for a dental specialist to stabilize the tooth or teeth before they fall out, but patients may require additional treatment to avoid future problems.

Receding Gums

It’s natural for the gums to recede a little bit over time since that’s just part of the aging process. If, however, patients notice that their gums are receding so quickly that it’s actually noticeable, that could mean trouble. It definitely means that they’ll need the help of a specialist if they want to avoid further gum damage and potentially lost teeth.

Pain and Discomfort

When readers are experiencing pain that can be traced to one or more specific teeth they need to go to an ordinary dentist. If, on the other hand, their pain or discomfort is affecting the gums, they’ll need the help of a periodontist. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

Sharing is caring!